FogRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Ride the Fog - We do the Impossible - We PWN Pros

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Facebook connect is now supported. Link your accounts [here] under "Associate your Facebook account". Once linked you can login to the forum/portal with one click.
I is announced! It will be held on Match of 6th.

ok i have this backup computer

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NexaTheGreat
Corporal
Corporal
NexaTheGreat

Kudos : 0

ok i have this backup computer Empty
PostSubject: ok i have this backup computer   ok i have this backup computer Icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 11:05 pm

its a 3800+ AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 1gb memory 250 gb harddrive integrated NVIDIS GeForce 6150 LE Graphics.. so what im woundering is what do i need to upgrade on it so i can play ava besides upgrading it to 2-4 gb memory..
Back to top Go down
http://NE-Gaming.webs.com
Eyelost
Forum Bahamut
Forum Bahamut
Eyelost

Kudos : 5

PostSubject: Re: ok i have this backup computer   ok i have this backup computer Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 12:58 am

Besides memory like you mentioned, all you'd need is a graphics card, don't expect integrated to do as great a job. Also make sure if you're going to end up with 4 GB of RAM to upgrade to a 64 bit system, it would be a waste to use anymore then about 3 GB of RAM with Vista or Windows 7 32 bit systems. (Which I also assume is one of the Operating Systems you'll have).

Other then that this specific PC should be able to run AVA just fine.
Back to top Go down
NexaTheGreat
Corporal
Corporal
NexaTheGreat

PostSubject: Re: ok i have this backup computer   ok i have this backup computer Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 2:26 am

well its running on windows xp its a old computer and i looked ram it says it has 2312 mb's which im think is alot more then 1 gb not to sure lol. and if you know what is a cheap g card i can buy that will get me around 100-150 fps on ava? i have my eyes on this one but its around 500 dollars so i may just wait to get it till i buy i new computer(or build one)
Back to top Go down
SiLeNCel2
Captain
Captain
SiLeNCel2

Kudos : 1

PostSubject: Re: ok i have this backup computer   ok i have this backup computer Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 3:20 pm

eye have you deleted my reply to this? strangley, it disappeared...

anyways, if you have a PCI-E slot, you should look at ebay for a used geforce 8800 or 9800 series (around 50-100 bucks), but make sure not to buy anything under x600 (like 8300, 8500, 9300...) and that they don´t have additions to their names like SE,VE, LE, those suck even in older games! GT, GTS, GTX and OC indicate gaming-grade cards, go for those.
neither i would buy anything bigger for this comp (like GTX 260), since your CPU is limiting the overall performance.

you probably have 4GB of RAM, but your win xp can only adress 2,5GB and of those, some memory is dedicated to that onboard gfx chip.

but before you upgrade, check your power supply (should be at least 500W) and your case dimensions (since those cards are huge).

Back to top Go down
Eyelost
Forum Bahamut
Forum Bahamut
Eyelost

Kudos : 5

PostSubject: Re: ok i have this backup computer   ok i have this backup computer Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 4:05 pm

No Sil, I didn't delete any posts.

Though he makes a great point, I forgot to ask what kind of Power Supply that PC has, according to your last post NExa, you have 2 GB of RAM.
Back to top Go down
SiLeNCel2
Captain
Captain
SiLeNCel2

PostSubject: Re: ok i have this backup computer   ok i have this backup computer Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 6:02 pm

no, he has more. 2GB would be 2048MB, and onboard gfx needs memory too. he has at least 3GB but as this is unusual, i guess it is 4GB. so an upgrade to win7 64bit would make sense, you could utilize about 3,7GB instead of 2,3.

if you want to make sure, look at the PC startup screen, a memory counter in byte should appear (if "power on self test" is activated in BIOS). trust me, i once sold those things. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
NexaTheGreat
Corporal
Corporal
NexaTheGreat

PostSubject: Re: ok i have this backup computer   ok i have this backup computer Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 10:14 pm

ok i was woundering because this computer has never been opened or had any upgrades done to it and the case only says it has 1gb ram. im guessing im gonna have to check the bios for the real specs. how much would a windows 7 64 cost. and i have no clue how to check the power supply if someone could teach me how to :p. and what i was posting on the shout box is the laptop i was useing some reason it stoped reading the power cord and it wont charge the bat or even power on the computer ive tryed taking it apart but for some reason it won fully come apart. i may have to send it in to get it fixed. but the desktop im talking about has just been laying around the house for about 2 years now not even touched seems like its from 2005 hoply i can talk my mother-in-law to let me have it and rebuild it :p
Back to top Go down
SiLeNCel2
Captain
Captain
SiLeNCel2

PostSubject: Re: ok i have this backup computer   ok i have this backup computer Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 11:53 am

ah ok laptop, that is a whole different story and sounds more complicated... now i have no clue. xD

about windows... many people don´t know that there are special licences for windwos to buy. for example, if you are a college student, you can buy windows7 MUCH cheaper than a retail version if you have a student card.

but since you are not a student, the licence that may be interesting for you is the "system builder licence" for win7 x64, which is only around 150€ for ultimate(!) version and 90€ for home premium. only difference to retail version (320€) is that it comes without documentation (manuals etc.), but who needs those? just look for them online, system builder licences are sold to everyone.

about the RAM... you said 2312MB... is that what it says under my computer -> rightklick -> properties? if yes, then you have definately more than 1GB. Wink

about the power supply... there must be a label with specs on the power supply´s case. maybe you have to check all sides and therefore take it out of your computer (BUT NEVER OPEN THE POWER SUPPLY ITSELF!!! not even when unplugged, DANGER!!). if you locate the label, look for "max. output" or something.
Back to top Go down
NexaTheGreat
Corporal
Corporal
NexaTheGreat

PostSubject: Re: ok i have this backup computer   ok i have this backup computer Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 8:35 pm

k thanks for all your guys help. this is why fogriders are number 1 :p. and it turns out i may not have to rebuild this one my gf just got a better job paying alot more then shes making now. so i may just build a full custom computer with the money she gives me. i may make a new post when i get started because you guy know alot more about this then me. and maybe get some help on what to get. but ill post what money i have and what i want and have whenever i start doing this. and thanks again guys for the help.
Back to top Go down
SiLeNCel2
Captain
Captain
SiLeNCel2

PostSubject: Re: ok i have this backup computer   ok i have this backup computer Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 9:18 pm

NexaTheGreat wrote:
k thanks for all your guys help. this is why fogriders are number 1 :p. and it turns out i may not have to rebuild this one my gf just got a better job paying alot more then shes making now. so i may just build a full custom computer with the money she gives me. i may make a new post when i get started because you guy know alot more about this then me. and maybe get some help on what to get. but ill post what money i have and what i want and have whenever i start doing this. and thanks again guys for the help.

lol, you lucky son! i like your gf, does she have any sisters? *jk* xD

anyways, if you really need my help, best way is to contact me via xfire (SiLeNCel2), so we don´t have to spam forums...
i guess you would be in good hands, im not a hacker or (software) nerd, but im building custom PC´s for almost 15 years now and am more or less up to date if it comes to hardware and market situation. *brag* ...

kind of a hobby, and i would love to help a fellow fogrider coming back again! Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ok i have this backup computer   ok i have this backup computer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ok i have this backup computer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
FogRiders :: Troubleshooting-Problems-
Jump to: